Monday, August 6, 2012

When the road gets rough… follow through!

 
I drove through the boom gate at the Grahamstown military base at about 2km/h and waved nervously at the soldier lifting the boom.  Although he waved back and didn’t stop me, he also  didn’t return my toothy smile. “Right… where to now?” I asked myself as I steered the car left and parked outside what looked like an office for guests.  I asked the soldier that I found inside this office where I could find Mr. Flotman – the communications officer whom I had been in touch with regarding the research for my audio documentary on women in the military.  He hopped in the car with me to direct me, and I drove slowly to Royden’s office. I was relieved to find Mr Flotman smiling and very welcoming, happy and  willing to help me. Why had I been so nervous in the first place?

The first week with Mr. Flotman made me aware of a few things. One: For a journalist who wants to do stories that involve the military, there is clearly always masses of bureaucracy involved.  Royden, as I now called him, had to complete a large stack of paperwork ensuring that everybody knew I was there and what I was there for. Two:  Having someone at your side who can help you to jump through the necessary bureaucratic hoops is valuable, yet could also hinder it in some ways.  I discovered this soon enough when I started interviewing. Royden was present throughout, which had real advantages, but also posed some problems. It made me feel uncomfortable having someone watch the process, as there is the possibility that the women won’t open up to me the way I hope they might. Yet I was also grateful that he was there because everyone knows him and I get in places quicker and easier- especially as he has planned well for my arrival.  

Take, for example, my interview with Captain Windvogel, the head nurse at the base. I conducted only one interview with her. The first question that she asked Royden was: “Is she allowed to be here?” and I wiped my brow knowing that I didn’t have to deal with that. At the same time, I became conscious that I need to establish a careful balance in my relationship with Royden. On one hand, I need him to help me understand the proper protocol  regarding my interaction with these women I interview, so that I do not step out of the boundaries of my agreement that has allowed me to gain access to them.  On the other hand, I want the women to have a space in which they can open up to me, without feeling constrained by presence of another officer. 

I guess I need to build a network of trust with the people I work with for this project – and that includes both the women whom I need to interview, and Royden.  So I will dedicate my time to also building that network. I have never worked with such a large institution before and I can see that I will face challenges.  My ability to overcome them it depends on my relationship with Royden, and also with the women with the women who will be at the centre of my story.  

For now, Royden and I get on well.  He has even placed me on the “The SA army Infantry Formation Fittest Soldier” Competition guest list. The 6th- 10th of August will see me following this competition, which has women in its teams and tests/promotes healthy and fit soldiers. I am keen to talk to women taking part in the competition and finding out more about their stories in the military as a whole. Until next week…

Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment