Sunday, August 12, 2012

Attention! About turn! At ease!



The 30km Route March of which I only did 5km...
My ears are now becoming accustomed to commands while working at 6 SAI. Attention! About Turn! At ease! While I am gaining more knowledge about this structured workplace, I am also starting to find gems in all my audio collection. My last blog post spoke about my frustration at not being able to have easy access to the women with whom I want to speak. But after a full week at the Fittest Soldier Competition, at least I have some really great audio to compliment the interviews that I will be having with these women. I am feeling ‘at ease’ :)

Interviewing female soldiers taking part in the competition
On Women’s Day- 9th of August 2012, Mike (my fellow radio student), accompanied me to the competition with a camera to practice his photography. We were up at 6am, and at the 6 SAI base at 7:15am! We thought we were early enough to begin the ‘Route March’ with the competing soldiers, but we weren't- the soldiers started their march about 15mins earlier than we had expected. The 'Route March' saw the soldiers march over 30kms with a bag on their backs filled with sand and their water bottles. We were at the back, following them as they walked- we only managed 5kms and then turned back. I recorded my own experience of walking this terrain and I definitely want to include this in the documentary as it shows how fit these men and women are in comparison to us. It also shows their dedication, again as opposed to ours. The audio gives great insight into the competition and my experience of this new world. For me, it is a highly demanding world, and yet it is one which many these soldiers treat as their norm.

Women's Day and yet these soldiers are on a Route March. A 30km Route March!

Coming over the first hill- the soldiers march on...and on...and on...

I had another interview this week, this time with Ntomboza Kobekitcha. She’s a Privateer and works in the Logistics section of the military. I only just realised that I didn’t know what a ‘privateer’ is so that is another question I plan to find the answer to along with my many others. The interview with her was very impromptu, and I feel that I could have got more out of it, but it was a start. One of the things Ntomboza spoke about which I would like to ask the other women as well, was her family’s reaction to her working in the military. She told me about how her family were not happy about her decision to become a soldier. In her words: 

“my mother was against it, she even called the family and everything... she said it was dangerous and what what. Being a soldier is a calling, so I went....” 

A calling? I keep asking myself how strong that calling must be if it means joining a workforce in which there is the likelihood of being shot, being hurt and yes, dying. But for her it was about the calling, about proving to her family that “as a woman, I can make it. There’s no difference between a woman and a man... if a man can do it, I can also do it...”. 

I’m at the point of my research where I am starting to uncover similar themes between the stories these women tell. Captain Windvogel and Ntomboza talk about being women in a man's world and being able to work as well as any man. They sometimes mention a struggle to get where they are currently. 

Next step? I want to know what it means for them to be women in the work they do. Does this make any difference? I guess in this whole process I am finding out what it means for me to be a woman too and how I, like them, place myself in male dominated spaces. I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere.

Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment