Monday, August 20, 2012

The Question Pot keeps boiling over

Today I received feedback from my Radio Production class regarding the oral exam/presentation we had to give at the beginning of this term. One of the general themes which seemed to emerge was that there was enough clarity on my choice of elective “Women in the Military” and that I do not allow myself the chance to incorporate my identity into my work. I took these comments in and sat for close to an hour mulling over these aspects and asking myself questions as to why I am doing what I am doing? Why women? Why the Military? What is my identity and how do I represent myself? So here goes...

I am a coloured woman. I was born in a time where I can study anywhere, use the same toilet as a white, Indian or black person and kiss any guy I like not because of his skin colour but because of his cute smile or his engulfing laugh. I have had to struggle, fight and work damn hard to get where I am today. I believe that I am a feminist as I have no issues with working one day while my husband buys groceries and cleans the house. I am a strong and independent woman. I was raised by a mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, stepmother, multiple aunties and a few uncles. I am a product of my community’s efforts and for that I am forever grateful. This afternoon saw me come up with these identifiers and I am satisfied with them. Have they influenced my choice of elective? Definitely.

When I decided to choose an elective, I remember saying to my lecturer, Jeanne, that I wanted to focus my sights on gender roles being “switched”. Possible story ideas such as ‘Single Fathers’, ‘Women in Military’ or ‘Women Who choose their career over a family’ interested me immensely and after touching base with Jeanne, she recommended I choose one and focus on it throughout. I chose ‘Women in Military’, and today, I found myself asking “why” multiple times? I came up with two simple answers: I am interested in pursuing stories which see women defying the set roles that society has created for them and watching them succeed in these new and changing roles. The second reason: I still believe that women are not truly equal in society and the Military proves to be an excellent case study considering that men still dominate the SANDF (South African National Defence Force) hands down. This is evident from the women in 6 SAI I have interviewed thus far. It has been reassuring to know though that the Defence Force is taking steps to change this- even if it is still a distant vision.  

I find myself interviewing these women and letting them know that they may fight for our country as a whole but they are also fighting for the rights of women. They are silent heros, deployed to countries like Berundi, DRC or Sudan on Peace keeping missions. I had never heard about their work until my time at 6 SAI. Then I wonder, is a month like “Women’s Month” even necessary if we don’t pay tribute to these women? Then again, perhaps we shouldn’t even have a Women’s Month at all as it shows that women are still not fully appreciated as equal and therefore need a month to fight for what is lacking. So a documentary highlighting these women’s roles in the service of our country is needed to ensure that the conversation surrounding women’s struggles continues until we can prove Captain Windvogel wrong when she says that “Women will never be equal to men..”. 

This blog post has taken a different stance from my usual reflective processes regarding the interviews I conduct. It is my chance to remind or rather keep questioning my decisions, a chance to make myself responsible for the stories that I record and the manner in which I choose to represent them. In representing them I have to also remain true to what it is I stand for and I think that is what I need to not lose sight of- the tension between the two and how I manage to make the two ends meet. 

Nadia


No comments:

Post a Comment